Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Living Stones

This song is almost a year and a half old.   I started a blog entry and never posted it.  I'm trying to catch up on having my blog up to date.

I've always been intrigued by the concept that we are living stones.  When I looked up the verse, I was struck by the fact that we are living stones that God is building together into his temple or his house.  Together, we are meant to hold the very presence of God.  

The letter of 1 Peter talks about this: 

You are coming to Christ, who is the living cornerstone of God's temple.  He was rejected by people, but was he was chosen by God for great honor.  And you are living stones that God is building into his spiritual temple.  What's more, you are his holy priests.  Through the mediation of Jesus Christ, you offer spiritual sacrifices that please God.  As the Scriptures say, "I am placing a cornerstone in Jerusalem, chosen for great honor, and anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced."  Yes, you who trust him recognize the honor God has given him.  But for those who reject him, "The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone."  1 Peter 2: 4-7 NLT

As I thought about this, I realized that I have always thought of Jesus as our cornerstone as meaning that he was like the keystone of an arch (without the keystone the whole thing falls apart).  But the cornerstone is the one that all the other stones have to line up with for the building to take shape.

This is what came to me as I thought about this.

    Living Stones

Living Stones
You tell Your people we are living stones.
Made to fit together
And when we come together
We become the house of God.

Cornerstone
Jesus is our living Cornerstone
The standard we are set to
So when we come together 
We become the house of God.

House of God
Together, we're the house of God.
The Church is made of people
And when we come together 
We become the house of God.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment