Monday, August 17, 2020

A Prayer from Hebrews 1

Over 20 years ago, I took a very vigorous Bible study course that required about an hour a day of homework, studying the book of Hebrews.  And at the end of the the homework for chapter 1, they asked us to ask the Lord for a song or prayer that would sum up the things that God had shown us.

This is what came.  In some ways, the fact that it rhymes and scans in a rather trite pattern dismayed me.  Am I just writing rhyming doggerel?  I do not claim that this is great literature.  But it still satisfies me at some deep level, so I share it here.

A Prayer from Hebrews 1

Father,

You have spoken to us through the prophets
In portions, a bit at a time--
And the word that you spoke overwhelms me,
Your law is so awesome and fine.

You spoke to the people through angels,
Great creatures of wind and of fire.
People shook at the visions in terror,
Such fear did their speaking inspire.

And now you have spoken in Jesus,
Not a shadow, but the brilliance of Your light.
The Word that created the planets
is spoken to us in the night.
The Word that holds all things together,
Came down to destroy all our sins.

When the world is changed like old clothing,
The Word that is Jesus will stand.
A better will never be spoken,
Through Him you have reached out Your hand.

The ears that I hear with are shallow,
The eyes I can see with are dim.
Father, speak Jesus into my being,
'Til my life is completed in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment