Friday, July 17, 2020

In these last days...

I had just joined a new church, after some traumatic times at the old church.  A Bible study was being offered on Hebrews, and I signed up to do the most rigorous Bible study I had undertaken for years, on a book which I had previously considered very dry and boring.  And I discovered, as I have learned again and again, that there is life to be found in all parts of the Bible if you look at them seriously and prayerfully.   

In these last days, God has spoken to us in His Son
A meditation on Hebrews 1:2-3

Jesus, You are appointed heir of all things
You're the one the Father chose to have it all.
Keep me from grabbing, clutching things to myself.
In You, I have it all.
Apart from You, there's nothing left to own.

Jesus, through You, the Father made the world,
The ages past, the present,
And all the future there will ever be
Were spoken into being through You,
And You made me.
You knew me and planned me, held me in your heart,
Before the beginning.

Jesus, You are the radiance of the Father's glory,
The light that shines forth from the blazing sun.
Help me be a true mirror,
With veils and masks stripped away,
So that I can catch your light
And shine it truly into the darkness I see.

Jesus, You are the perfect engraving
Of the Father's underlying essence,
The exact representation of His being.
I am like a coin that's blurred and fuzzy
I long to be new-minted.
Melt me in the fire of your love
And stamp your image plainly on my heart.

Jesus, You uphold all things by the word of your power,
By the spoken word that creates and brings forth life
Hold me up, Lord.
Hold me together
And speak Your powerful word into my life.

Jesus, you made purification of sins,
Cleansed, purged, made it right
The work was finished, final, and complete.
Complete it in my heart, O Lord,
Bring your cleansing, purify my inmost being.

Jesus, You sat down
On the right hand of the Majesty of the Father
Your work was finished, You entered into your rest.
Bring me too, into that Sabbath rest,
That having run the race, I may sit at your feet,
And worship You forever.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment