Sunday, October 9, 2011

Of paper and pens

My sister, Mathilda Wheeler, runs a blog called The Wonder Writer.  And recently she shared a poem about writing that a young cousin of ours wrote as she was using writing to grieve the death of her mother.  Her poem is better than mine (go look), but it still made me want to share this poem that I wrote quite a while ago.


Of Paper and Pens
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus
the author and finisher of our faith.  Hebrews 12:2


Sometimes I'm the paper.
Sometimes I'm the pen.
The Lord of glory writes His grace
into the lives of men
and women who will trust Him
and choose to run the race.
He writes His truth upon our hearts
with glory and with grace--
sometimes the grace of hardship,
always the grace of love--
His children learn to run the race
and look to him above.
I long to be the paper
on which He writes the lines,
but also long to be the pen
through which His mercy shines.
God writes with living fire.
He makes us each a lamp
to let the living story shine
in the dark outside the camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment