Thursday, July 28, 2011

Corners

This poem has gone through a number of versions, but this is its current form.  Still a prayer that means something to me.

Corners

Father, I give you the corners of my life.

The empty corners
Of time that lie scattered through my days.
Once I thought they could be harvested,
Gathered into a gift that would somehow
be big and therefore worthy.
Now I know these moments will remain scattered,
and insignificant.
And I give them to you as a fragrant offering.
Rose petals scattered through my day
For you to walk upon.

The jagged corners
The rough uneven edges of my awkwardness and sin
That scrape and scar the ones my life is meant to bless.
It’s OK if I don’t fit the mold
That you alone know what strangely shaped niche
My life was created for.
But please cut off, sand down the pieces of my life
That catch and tear and wound the ones I love.

The dark corners
Filled with things I try to forget
The hidden places
Do dragons lurk there
Or just some smelly dirty socks
And a piece of forgotten fruit now molded?
Come with your light
Let’s explore and clean
With you beside me, I can vanquish even dragons
And face the mundane and embarrassing scuzz
I’ve strewn throughout my life.

The scary corners
The places where my pathway takes a sudden turn
And I don’t know what dangers lie ahead.
I place my hand in yours
And choose to trust once more
That though I cannot see ahead
No part of my future,
No way I will walk
Is unseen, unknown or unblessed by you.

Father, I give you the corners of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment